Welcome to The Public Storyteller’s Blog

Dear New Friends, The art of storytelling is an important aspect of the age-old oral tradition. Nevertheless, the newfangled technology of blogging is a wonderful way to share ideas and feelings about how we use storytelling in our lives and work. It’s also a great way to share stories–which may appear on my segment The Public Storyteller on the Miami, Florida, radio station WLRN 91.3 FM, wlrn.org Sundays at 4 p.m. (Also available at www.thepublicstoryteller.org.)

Nearly a year ago Michael Stock, longtime host of the show Folk and Acoustic Music on WLRN, invited me to produce and co-host a segment on his three-hour program Folk & Acoustic Music, highlighting not only the amazingly talented professional storytelling artists that appear in South Florida, but also, and most importantly, South Florida residents who have their own stories to share of their experiences in our part of the world. The idea behind the segment is simple: People connect to other people and places through sharing stories. (More about this in later posts.) Even though many South Floridians were born elsewhere, we now make this beautiful region our home. Yet we don’t have memories of the places we might pass by or read or hear about in our very own neighborhoods.

I emcee VOX at Gizzi's in Delray Beach, Florida

By hearing the stories of others that take place in those areas, we can come to not only know the places, but also share the memories. It’s a concept that is both extremely simple and uncommonly provocative. In future posts, I will discuss storytelling as an art form, as well as invite readers to participate in performances, storytelling slams, courses, workshops, guilds, and all the other activities available to storytellers worldwide.

Advertisements
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• Cheryl Brown  On March 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Caren, Is sharing the SFlo experience I heard about on NPR an ongoing show? I would like to share a ironically funny SoFlo moment if so. I will check your blog out later. The idea appeals to me greatly!

• Caren Neile  On March 26, 2012 at 12:16 am

Yes, it’s on Sundays at 4 p.m. on 91.3 FM. Send me your phone number, and we can arrange a recording. Thanks so much!

Caren Neile

• Phyllis J. Neuberger  On February 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Hi Caren,
    Our mutual friend, Alissa Fiss, suggested I contact you as a potential South Florida storyteller. I can’t seem to find a way to do that, although I have visited your archives and listened to some of the past storytellers.I have gone to carenina@bellsouth.net but can’t find a place to send my thoughts to you.If you contact me at pjnfocus@bellsouth.net, I will return your e-mail with a brief written idea of my story. Thanks. Phyllis J. Neuberger

• Emil A. Lazo  On August 15, 2014 at 11:15 am

Plz Caren I would like to send a short story to you (5-7 min.) but can’t enter your web site,.Can you contact me or guide as to where to log in my stories?
    phone 305 393 2917 or emilalazo00@gmail.com thanks

• Caren Neile  On August 15, 2014 at 11:19 am

Thanks so much for writing, Emil! Is this for the Public Storyteller? If so, please do not send me a written story. We do not do readings. I would like you to come to the studio to record, if possible, or do it on the phone. Is that possible? I will send you our guidelines by e-mail.

Best,
      Caren Neile

• Emil A. Lazo  On August 15, 2014 at 11:59 am

Thank you very much for your kind information !

Sent from my iPhone